Guwange was the last game developed by Cave for their 1st gen hardware.
It was originally released in the arcades in 1999, and later ported to Xbox 360.
A variation of the game with altered scoring system called "Special Version" or "Blue Label" exists. It is a simple rom swap on PCB, and available in the 360 port.
Guwange is a vertical shooter with a walking character and levels scrolling both vertically and horizontally.
- A (Press): Shot.
- A (Hold): "Shikigami" attack.
- B: Bomb
- When holding B after bombing, you can move the stick to control the direction of the bomb.
- C: A Auto-fire if enabled in the game's test menu.
Shishin : Dude with mask
- -- Shot can be aimed left/right a bit when moving.
- -- Average movement speed
Shishin: Girl with wolf
- -- Shots fire straight
- -- Fast movement speed
- -- Shikigami attack leave napalm trails
Gensuke: Dude with glasses
- -- Shots are wide but straight
- -- Slow movement speed
There are three types of health pickups. - Small: Restores some health in the current health bar. - Medium: Restores one full health bar. - Large: Restores all health.
Destroy the biggest statue first at the end of the horizontally scrolling section (small health pickup)
Destroy the midboss with shikigami attack (medium health pickup)
Destroy the tank before the boss (small health pickup)
On the spider section, killing spiders will grant health pickups. First a small, then a medium and then a large assuming enough spiders are killed.
Each cart at the section towards the end grants a small health pickup.
The right three at the first phase of the boss gives a medium health pickup.
Console Release Notes
Xbox 360 / Xbox One
- Physical Release? - No, digital download only.
- Arranged Modes - Yes: 'Guwange Arrange Blue', 'Guwange Arrange 360'
- Online Leaderboards? - Yes
- Tate Option? - Yes
- Original Arcade Graphics - Yes (and Xbox 360 can be forced to output Tate 4:3 ratio at 480p)
- Internal Scanlines Generator: No (T_T)
- Graphical Filters: Smoothing On/Off
- Training mode - Yes
- Training Mode Configuration:
- Save States - No - Level Select - Yes - Customise Resources - Yes, all. - Boss Fight Select - No - Mid Boss Fight Select - No - Save Training Run Replays - No
- Replay Mode - Yes (& can download high scoring replays from Leaderboards)
- Replay Options:
- Can slow playback to 1/32 speed (!)